By Erica Houskeeper on September 26, 2019
Are you trying to figure out how to batch out a credit card machine? In order to fully process the sale and get paid for your goods or services, you need to know how to get it done. Here are tips for how to batch out a credit card machine.
There are two steps to any credit card transaction. The first is the authorization, which happens the moment a customer swipes or enters their card at your terminal. That’s when you’ll receive a real-time response of “approved” or “declined” from the card-issuing bank. The second step is the capture, which is when the sale is fully processed and sent to the processor to finalize.
In order to fully process the sale and get paid for your goods or services, you need to know how to batch out a credit card machine.
A Step-by-Step Guide for How to Batch Out a Credit Card Machine
Batches can be settled at any time throughout the day, but since credit card processors often charge a fee each time it’s done, it’s more cost effective and less time consuming to settle all transactions all at once.
As a merchant, you can set up credit card batching to take place automatically at the same time each day. Credit card batching can be done more often than once a day, but since there can be a fee for each batching request, merchants tend to process batches once a day to minimize their fees. Because of the fees that credit card processors charge, sending all of the day’s transactions in one batch eliminates the individual charges that would be applied if each transaction was sent separately.
If you don’t settle out on a daily basis, or on a day where you had authorizations, you risk getting a downgraded interchange rate, which means more money out of your pocket in the end.
When learning how to batch out a credit card machine, it’s important to understand that all the batch authorization codes must be sent to a payment processor for sorting and forwarding to the issuing banks. The issuing banks have already placed a hold on the cardholder’s line of credit or account funds to cover the transaction amount. At settlement, the banks release those funds to the processor who, in turn, deposits them into your account, usually within a couple of days.
Depending on what type of terminal you use, there are different ways to batch out a credit card machine. Here is a step-by-step guide for Verifone VX520, Ingenico ICT250, First Data FD130, Verifone VX680 Wireless, and PAX S80.
How to Batch a Verifone VX520
- The terminal will send the transactions to the processor for you if the terminal has been set to auto batch. You can always manually batch the terminal should you experience any issues with the auto batch.
- From your home screen, select Settlement for the sale and refund totals to display.
- Select Enter to print the Settlement Report.
- Review the Settlement Report and confirm the batch settled successfully.
How to Batch an Ingenico ICT250
- Start the reporting and settlement process.
- On the Admin Menu, press the  key to access the reports menu.
- Press the  key for the Summary Report.
- Print or display report by pressing the  key to print, or the  key to display the summary report.
- The Admin Menu will display when reporting is complete. Press the  key to settle your open batch.
- Press the [1} key to close and deposit funds.
- Press the [F1] key to accept the settlement total for your open batch.
- The terminal will connect and transmit the open batch. The settlement is accepted, and the report prints.
- The terminal will prompt you to reprint the Summary Report. Press [F1] for Yes or [F4].
- When the settlement is complete, the main menu is displayed.
How to Batch a First Data FD130 For the FD Terminal
- Navigate to your device’s main screen.
- Step Depending on your specific terminal model, select “Close” or “Close Batch.”
- Select “OK” via the touch screen (or press 3 for non-touch screen terminals.) The terminal will now batch out.
How to Batch a Clover Terminal:
- Go to the homepage of your Clover device.
- Open the Closeout app.
- Click on “Close out all devices.”
- Select Close Out to confirm the batch out.
- Select Close Out from the confirmation window. Please note that you will need to close any other open tabs before batching out.
How to Batch A Verifone VX680 Wireless
- This terminal will send the batch automatically if you have set a sending time to the setting. Verifone recommends that the time is after the closing time. Even hours are not recommended (such as 2100).
- If you do not want to use the automatic sending time, set it to 9999. The batch must then be sent manually.
- To set the sending time, choose Batch Time from the Edit menu. Type on the screen the sending time that you want with four digits (such as 0415).
How to Batch a PAX S80
- Press [FUNC] followed by [CLEAR] to access, or press [FUNC] to access via the Function Menu.
- On the Function Menu, press  to batch to host.
- Select host. It is possible to have more than one host choice. In that case, both should be batched one after the other.
- Press  to close the batch. Pleases note that the selections in the Batch Menu will vary with the host processor. With some, there are a number of different choices but others start the batch process immediately.
- The terminal will contact the host processor and print a batch report.
- If a terminal is programmed for auto batch, the host will close the batch automatically each night at a specific time. The terminal will print a batch report.
Learning how to batch out a credit card machine depends on the terminal. If you have additional questions, review your owner’s manual or contact customer support.